Monday, March 9, 2009

Dumpster Diving...

The phone rang at the shop Sunday and there was this horrible hum on the line so I could barely hear the caller but as far as I could discern it was this gentleman I had purchased some items from the day before. He had been cleaning out his late mom's house and found some more dishes that belonged to a set I bought from him and said he'd be bringing them by, then asked if I had found any cassette tapes in the boxes of loot he had dropped off. I only remembered seeing an empty cassette case, and everything I didn't want for the shop had already been sent on its way to Yard Sale Buddy's or the Dumpster; he sounded really disappointed as the tape had been a recording of his late grandmother. When I got off the phone I relayed the conversation to Claudia who recalled there definitely WAS a tape in the lot... SIGH. Off to do some Dumpster Diving! I slapped on a plastic glove and 2 seconds later I was out back frantically scanning for the 2 bags I had just thrown in that morning. Judy from the Sub Shop saw me headfirst in the Dumpster and yelled out the window, "HEY CHRIS - IF YOU ARE THAT HUNGRY, WE CAN MAKE YOU A SANDWICH!!" If only it were that easy. Finally I located one of the bags and skipped back to the shop with lettuce in my hair, proudly waving the bag. Which, of course, turned out to be the WRONG bag. Back to square one and just as I was thanking god it was not August so the garbage didn't smell TOO bad, I spied the 2nd bag and retrieved it. There, under 47 empty Dunkin' Donuts cups of Yard Sale Buddy's, I FOUND IT! Grandma's Voice, captured on tape for all time. Jack-formerly-Mack-of-Never-Open-Antiques was looking at me like I had 3 heads for going through all of these gyrations so I said pointedly "It's his GRANDMA on TAPE. I'd do the same for you." He just blinked at me, knowing full well I wouldn't. "OK you're Right... but I'd at least show you where the Dumpster was."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It must be the competition trying to listen into your trade secrets.