Thursday, March 17, 2011

Little Orphan Augie

Is an orphan no more! Kenny and I trekked up to NH last Friday to pick up the newest member of our family, a coonhound/rat terrier mix rescued from Tennessee. Here we are meeting him in the pouring rain:

I should've had my head examined ordering a puppy sight unseen off of Petfinder, but we really lucked out. What a little love; we settled him into the car for the long ride home from NH and after a few confused looks at us, he promptly passed out.

Augie had been hosted in a Foster Home for a month or so before he was transported up here at the age of 5-1/2 months. I was really worried I was missing out on his formative training days but am delighted to report he showed up a true little Southern gentleman with house manners and a basic knowledge of potty training. Our resident coonhound Duff, who's only 3 but acts like he's about 80, was pretty nervous about the prospect of his 'Mini-Me' at first.

Day 1 Duff wanted nothing to do with sitting near him; Day 3 he allowed Augie to share a piece of furniture with him; Day 4 he voluntarily jumped on a piece of furniture Augie was already enjoying and Day 5 after a busy playdate with my friend and her daughter, these 2 BFFs passed out together.

Sorry for the tiny photos, I shot some of them with my phone. But, you get the idea. Looking forward to sharing many fun Augie stories with you all in the future. And - just to clear the record for those of you who read the 'Tick-Tock' blog and thought my husband REALLY wanted a baby... I was talking about a pup the whole time. We are both delighted with the addition to the family!!

4 comments:

cfb said...

I have been waiting to see more pics of this guy - how adorable! Love the stories too...they are so cute together...

Anonymous said...

I am so glad they are now co-snugglers. Duff will love him....in spite of himself. Congrats!


AH

Beth said...

Oh my goodness, how cute!

I came here looking for furniture updates but I'm delighted to see a puppy instead! We also just adopted (our first) and also feel like we lucked out. It's so nice to see another shelter pup happy in a new home!

Lea said...

Augie is adorable, as is the ol' Duffer. Congratulations on the new addition. I have 2 "Grand-puppies" who are Puerto Rican rescues---so much fun and I can send them home!